Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: A

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Search the site
A   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
ADAMS, Maurice Bingham FRIBA
1849-1933
Architect, born in Brighton, grew up in Keymer and was educated in Lewes. After working for local building firms for a year, he was articled to H N Goulty in 1867, then became assistant to William Emerson. In 1870-72 he was clerk of works and architect to Philip Causton Lockwood, Brighton Borough Surveyor. Own practice from 1873. Moved to Bedford Park, Chiswick, London by 1878 and was associated with development of that estate. Editor of Building News from 1872 to 1923. FRIBA 1886. No work identified so far
Adnam & Skipper
Architects at 144 Western Road (1864). No work identified so far
Albery & Lawrence
Architects at 53 Church Road (1918-21).
Active in Hove 1909-1918. Almost all their known work was conversion of larger properties into flats and maisonettes.
ALLDRIDGE, Joseph William
(1895-1977)
Architect. Named in connection with developments on the Sweet Hill plotland estate. As much of this site was developed without planning permission, using prefabricated housing, huts and sheds, it was relatively unusual for anyone to be identified. Also identified as William T Alldridge. WORK
Windyridge, London Road, Patcham (1922)
Highmead, London Road, Patcham (1923)
at least 11 properties on the Sweet Hill Estate (1922-23)

PERSONAL
6 Terminus Place [birthplace]
68 Prince's Road [childhood home]
ALLEN, John Gordon
(1885-1964)
Architect. Son of a building surveyor and land agent. Very influential in suburban and bungalow development in the inter-war years (including in Australia and New Zealand). ARIBA 1910. Author of The Cheap Cottage and Small House: A manual of economic building (London: B T Batsford, 1919) and The Smaller House of To-day (London: B T Batsford, 1926). Winner of the 1927 Daily Mail Ideal Home Competition for Architects for a bungalow design. 14, 16, 22, 24, 26, 34, 40, 42 Carden Avenue (1922-26)
14 Colebrook Road (1923)
4 Hillbrow Road (1924)
20, 25 Winfield Avenue (1926)
ALLWORK, Charles
Builder and carpenter. Little is known about him; Allwork was a common name in Willingdon at that time. St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean (alterations, repairs, 1818)
St Wulfran's Church, Greenways, Ovingdean (repairs, possibly south porch, 1826)
ANDREWS, Anthony Edward
Architect and surveyor. No work identified so far
ANDREWS, William Frederick Architect. Partner in Andrews & Duke.
Andrews & Duke Architectural partnership of William Frederick Andrews and Duke at Bostel House, 37 West Street and Hanover Square, London.
ANSCOMBE, Allen Sr
1801-1871
Architect and surveyor, born in Cuckfield. Joseph Anscombe, builder, was the principal resident at 116 Queen's Road in 1867. His sons, Alfred and Allen, were his surveyor's clerks. WORK
Pool Lane, Pool Valley (improvements, 1840)
latrines, urinals on foreshore, Shoreham Road [Kingsway], Hove (1877)

PERSONAL
30 St George's Road [residence, practice 1839-1851]
36 College Place [residence, practice 1851-59]
14 College Gardens [residence 1861-1862]
116 Queen's Road [1864-1871]
ANSCOMBE, Allen Jr
1843-1917
Son of Allen Anscombe, born in Brighton. Served as his father's clerk (1861), Master carpenter (1871), then building and land surveyor. . WORK


PERSONAL
30 St George's Road [childhood residence 1843-1851]
36 College Place [childhood residence 1851-59]
14 College Gardens [residence 1861-1862]
5 Fairlight Place [residence 1871]
12 Buckingham Street [residence, practice 1877-1886]
28 West Hill Road [residence, practice, 1887-1917]
ANSCOMBE, Edward
1795-1843
Surveyor. Elder brother of Allen Anscombe Sr [qv]. No work identified so far

PERSONAL
19 North Gardens [residence, practice 1832-1843]
ANSCOMBE, John
1845-1921
Son of Allen Anscombe Sr and brother of Allen Anscombe Jr [qqv]. Surveyor's assistant (1871). Surveyor (1881). Builder's foreman (1891). Surveyor (1901-1911). He left £1,029 11s 3d. WORK
4 Russell Street (1874)

PERSONAL
• 330 St George's Road [childhood residence 1851]
14 College Gardens [residence 1861]
• 15 Railway Street [residence 1871]
36 Surrey Street[residence, practice 1880-1886]
• 58 Stanley Road [residence 1891]
• 110 Elm Grove [residence, practice 1901
• 21 Rose Hill Terrace [residence, practice 1911-21]
ANSCOMBE, Parker
1829-1900
Born in Cuckfield, son of Joseph Anscombe (1789-1852), carpenter, and nephew of Allen Anscombe [qv]. Carpenter (1861) but was the postmaster at Hurstpierpoint in 1871. Architect and surveyor (1873). Railway surveyor (1881). Surveyor (1891). Then in partnership with Long. WORK
Oxford Street Chapel, Oxford Street

PERSONAL
11 Elm Grove [residence 1873]
53 Surrey Street [residence 1874-1882]
105 Gloucester Road [residence, practice, 1891]
ANTHONY, Albert Edward
1865-1916
Architect. Lived at Dudley Road, Hastings (1901). Own practice by 1909 at Royal Insurance Chambers, 162 North Street (1909-15). No work identified so far
Anthony & Dixon Architects at 35 East Street (1899-1905), partnership of A E Anthony and B H Dixon. The listing of their principal work is believed to be complete. 77, 79 Florence Road (1893)
68 Crescent Road (1895)
37a-c Crescent Road (1898)
15, 17 Crescent Road (1902)
6 houses on west side, Dyke Road (1896)
30 Harrington Villas (1896)
50, 52 Highdown Road (1897)
2-8 (even) Hollingbury Road (1903)
2-8 (even) Hollingbury Terrace (1903)
electrical works for Reason Manufacturing Company, Lewes Road (1899, 1900, 1902)
2 houses on east side, house on north-east corner, Montefiore Road (1901, 1902)
additions, chapel, St Joseph's Home for the Aged, 182 Old Shoreham Road (1897, 1900)
23 Preston Park Avenue (1895)
3 houses, Princes Crescent (1906)
29, 32 Princes Road (1896)
30-44 (even) Riley Road (laundries 1898)
4-14 (even) Riley Road (1902)
95, 121 Stanford Avenue (1895-96)
parish room, Tamworth Road (1904)
ARMSTRONG, John
1937-
Painter, taught at University of Brighton, specialising in religious works. Chapel Royal, North Street* (painted sign)
St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (altarpiece)
ARUNDALE, Francis
Architect at 15 Devonshire Place (1848), 19 Charlotte Street (1851). No work identified so far
ASHDOWN, George Washington
1843-1934
Dairyman [took over Peter's Dairy c1868] and provision merchant; his dairy became Southern Counties Dairy by 1905 and he was listed as managing director of a dairy company (1901). Admitted to the Royal York masonic lodge in 1881. Began property development in the late 1890s and by 1910 he was listed as an estate agent, landowner and housing developer in Preston and the north of Brighton. Born in Ditchling, son of a miller (Oldland Mill, Keymer). Left £9,647 12s 10d. 28 North Gardens [dairy/residence 1868-73]
52 Gloucester Road [shop/residence 1874-1901]
Brynhyfryd/Gordon House, 10 Tivoli Crescent [residence 1904-1909]
12 Matlock Road [office/residence 1911]
South Lodge, 1 Tivoli Crescent [residence 1919-1926]
Brocker House (1927)/Oakdene (1928-29)/End House (1930)/The Beacon, Tivoli Crescent North [residence -1934]
As developer:
• Woodside Avenue [one house 1897]
ATKINSON, Robert
Architect. Eestablished his reputation designing cinemas, his most accomplished work being the Regent Cinema, Brighton (1921), the first luxury cinema in the country, which fellow architect Sir Howard Richardson—who succeeded Atkinson as principal of the Architectural Association—described as Atkinson's 'no 1 Symphony'. It was regarded as one of the most remarkable British buildings of the 1920s. Regent Cinema, Queen's Road (1921)
The Dome and Corn Exchange, Church Street* (remodelling, 1935)
Pavilion Theatre, New Road* (remodelling, 1935)
ATTREE, Albert Edward
1890-1975
Builder. Trained as a carpenter. Listed at Overhill Way in 1941, at 53 Barrhill Avenue 1948-1954 and at 82 Eldred Avenue (1956). 7 Seaview Road (1925)
AUSTIN, John
Architect. Adulam Chapel, Windsor Street (1840, demolished)
AVERY-FOWLER, James Aylwin
(1885-1948)
Architect, in practice at 4 Shelley Terrace, Lewes. Lived in Seaford from the 1930s until his death. bungalow, Crescent Drive (1921)
126 Warren Road (1921)
17 Channel View Road (1921)
Warren Farm bungalow, Warren Road (alterations, 1928)
AXTELL, Charles Frederick
1876-1954
Architect,mainly of domestic housing in the first third of the 20th century. Son of a lodging house keeper in New Steine. Surveyor's assistant (1901). In practice at 11 Prince Albert Street (1905), then 38 Ship Street (by 1909, until at least 1938), living at the same address; also at 10 New Steine (1912-21). Later known as Frederick Charles Axtell. In retirement he lived at 1 The Twitten, Southwick. 27, 29, 31, White Street (1897)
two houses, Lowther Road (1899)
28, 30, 32, 34 St Luke's Road (1900)
91, 93, 95 Sandgate Road (1901)
3 houses, east side, Osmond Road (1902)
102, house and shop (1902)
8 houses, Ditchling Road (1905)
7 houses, Hollingbury Park Avenue (1905)
3 houses, Coombe Road (1906)
'Glen View' 1 Cornwall Gardens (1906-08)
4, 5 Crown Street (rebuilding, 1907)
10-11 Leicester Street (1907)
10 houses, Osborne Road (1907)
pair of semi-detached houses, Osborne Road (1907)
3 houses, East Drive (1909)
2 houses, Ferndale Road (1910)
house, Dyke Road (1912)
St Augustine's Church, Stanford Avenue (chancel, 1913)
'The Glen' 32 Withdean Road (1913?)
2 houses, Arundel Road (1922)
house, Bonchurch Road (1923)
two bungalows, Chatsworth Road (1923)
three houses, Stanford Avenue (1923)
School House, 60 Ladies Mile Road (1923)
'Guisboro', London Road (1923)
Sweet Hill Barn, Sweet Hill Estate (conversion to residence, 1923)
'bungalow near Valley Road', Sweet Hill Estate (1925)
2 houses, Reigate Road (1925)
Newick House Hotel, South Coast Road (1927)
10 Hillbrow Road (1929)
7 houses, Stanmer Park Road (west side, 1930)
72 Warmdene Road (1932)
AYRTON, Ormrod Maxwell
1874-1960
Born in Scotland. Assistant to Edwin Lutyens while studying at the Royal College of Art. Own practice from 1899. Partnership with John Simpson from 1910 to 1928. FRIBA 1920. Roedean School, Roedean Way
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 16 September 2021