Press


The first newspaper in Sussex was the Sussex Weekly Advertiser, or Lewes Journal. Launched in 1749; it covered the whole of the county, including Brighton. The first newspaper in Brighton was the Brighton Herald, which was also the longest-lived, surviving for 8,821 editions from 6 September 1806 to 30 September 1971.
        At the time these newspapers were founded they were subject to the Stamp Act, legislation passed in 1712 as a way of pricing copies beyond the means of the working classes, who might be too susceptible to radicalisation. This avoided imposing overt political censorship on the press. The tax was set initially at 1d per whole sheet, ½d for a half sheet and 1s for each advertisement. It increased to 3½d in 1797 and a maximum of 4d per newspaper and 3s 6d on all advertisements in 1815.
        In 1819, the Newspaper and Stamp Duties Act—one of the 'Six Acts' intended to suppress sedition after the Peterloo Massacre—required publishers to deposit a bond with the government as surety against possible infringement: £300 for London papers, £200 in the regions.

        The Act applied to any newspaper costing less than 6d, that was published more frequently than every 26 days and contained 'any Public News, Intelligence of Occurrences, or any Remarks or Observations thereon, or upon any Matter in Church or State'. A penalty of £20 was imposed for publishing or selling a newspaper without paying the stamp duty.
        Printing paper was also taxed. However, newspapers bearing the 4d stamp could be sent free of charge through the mail.
        Despite the tax, nine newspapers were founded in Brighton before the Stamp Act was abolished in 1855 and three of them survived into the second half of the 20th century.
        The first to launch after that was the Brighton Observer in 1856, followed by five more titles by 1860. The pace then started to quicken but with competition came failure. Of the three papers launched in 1864, none survived more than a few months, although one of these, Brighton Election Reporter, was intended to run for only the duration of the parliamentary by-election that year.

        The failures continued right to the end of the 19th century. Of the 54 newspapers in this list, 15 did not survive through a second year. On the other hand, the three earliest titles survived longest—for around 160 years—and another early one, Sussex Express (1851), for over 100 years. And The Argus is still with us, 134 years old.

Unfortunately very few of these newspapers are yet available online. The promised digitisation of the collection from the former Brighton History Centre, now in The Keep at Falmer, has not happened and looks unlikely in the foreseeable future. Only the Brighton Patriot, Sussex Advertiser and Sussex Express are yet included in the British Newspaper Archive, based on the British Library's massive holdings.

Brighton's periodical press

1Kelly 1891
2Post Office Directory 1859
3Taylor 1854, ad p55 (based on 'last stamp return')
4Melville 1858
5Folthorp General Directory 1864
6Post Office Directory 1866
7Pigot 1832
8Carder (s108)
9Pigot 1839
10Kelly 1905
11Taylor 1854
12Kelly 1867
131871 Census, RG10 piece 1086 folio 86 page 12
14Post Office Directory 1851
15Post Office Directory 1855
16Catalogue of Printed Books in the Bitish Museum: Newspapers 1905
17Frederic William Maitland: The Life and Letters of Leslie Stephen

Southern Publishing Company
1888: incorporated by Henry John Infield, publishing Sussex Daily News.
1880 March 30: first edition of The Argus.
1891: Infield family (four sons, two daughters, three servants) living at 10 Bolton Gardens West, Kensington, London. John H is a 'student at Bar'.
1897 September 2: Morning Argus launched.
1901: Infields living at Sylvan Lodge, 2 Upper Lewes Road.
1905: offices at 130 North Street, West Pier entrance, 142a Church Road, Hove and at Battle, Chichester, East Grinstead, Eastbourne, Hastings, Horsham, Lewes, Littlehampton, Rye, Tunbridge Wells, Worthing and London10.
1911: John Henson Infield and family (wife, step-daughter, ward and three servants) living at 118 Marine Parade, Brighton.
1921: son Jonathan (John= J Henson?, eldest son) Infield (d 1942) becomes chairman and managing director.
1926 May 3: last edition of Morning Argus.
1926: acquires Robinson printing works and adjacent building in Robert Street to house printing and typesetting, latter was previously still at 130 North Street.
1942: nephew Edward Infield Willis becomes chairman and managing director.
date: 50 North Street acquired.
1951: 50 North Street rebuilt as Argus House.
1965: Westminster Press buys 70 per cent stake, E I Willis remains chairman.
date? Willis retires and Westminster Press takes full control.
1972: hot metal replaced.
1976 end: Argus House sold. All departments now at Robert Street.
1981 June 25: Brighton and Hove Leader launched as a weekly freesheet. (replaces The Advertiser),
1990: new plant at Enterprise Industrial Estate in Hollingbury to cost £20m, offices and journalists remain at Robert Street.

The Advertiser
See Brighton and Hove Leader.

The Argus
1880 March 30: first edition, price: ½d. Premises at 130 North Street with pigeon loft for news gathering.
1880 June 1: Brighton Daily News incorporated.16.
1889 November 7: East Sussex edition launched, printed in Hastings.
1891: 'several times daily'.
1897 1 January: renamed Evening Argus.
1918 March: price increased to 1d.
1926 February: first photograph printed—of a fire at the Court Theatre in New Road.
early 1940s: circulation falls to 19,000. Hastings plant closed.
1964 October: circulation reaches 100,000.
1977 October 28: first photo-set front page.

Bargains and Wants Advertiser
1894 July 9-September 8: Only nine issues, then discontinued.16

Brighton ABC, or Alphabetical Railway Guide &c
1854: published first of every month by W J Taylor at 16-17 East Street11.

Brighton Advertiser
1880 January 23: Brighton, Hove and Cliftonville Advertiser launched as weekly.16
1881 August 19: name changed to Brighton Advertiser16
1886 June 29: renamed Brighton Pictorial Advertiser16
1890 June 21: renamed Brighton Advertiser and Visitors' Guide16
1925: closed.

Brighton and Hove Gazette
See Brighton Gazette.

Brighton and Hove Gazette and Herald
See Brighton Gazette.

Brighton and Hove and South Sussex Graphic, South Coast Illustrated and Society Journal
1915: founded at 22 West Street; edited by Cayley Calvert
Frequent title changes

Brighton and Hove Daily Mail
1874 January 30-September 3016
See Brighton Observer

Brighton and Hove Entertainment Chronicle
1891 September 19-1894 January 20: 124 issues, then discontinued.16

Brighton and Hove Guardian
See Brighton Guardian.

Brighton & Hove Independent

Brighton and Hove Leader
1981 June 25: launched by Southern Publishing Company as a weekly freesheet. (replaces The Advertiser),
1985 March 9: incorporates Brighton and Hove Gazette and Herald.

Brighton and Hove Society
date? incorporates Brighton & Hove Guardian.
1905: published by Brighton Society and Guardian Press Ltd, 34 North Street, Fridays10.

Brighton and Hove Times
See Brighton Times.

Brighton and South Coast Visitor [Church and Home]
1875 September: launched.
1875 December: discontinued.10

Brighton and Sussex Daily Post
1876 July 1: founded as daily.16
1885 July 9: renamed Brighton and Sussex Evening Post.16
1886 February 7: Final issue. Discontinued.16

Brighton and Sussex Evening Post
1885 July 9-1886 February 716
See Brighton and Sussex Daily Post

Brighton Arrival List
See also Brighton Observer and Fashionable Arrival List.
1859: printed and published by Alfred Hawkins & Co at 35 West Street2. Frequency and publication day not given.

Brighton Chronicle
1859 April 20-December 15: printed and published every Wednesday by Edwin Trill at 102 Church Street. Discontinued.2, 16.

Brighton Contemplator
1864 May 5-June 15: seven issues, then discontinued.

Brighton Daily News
1868 November 2: launched as daily.
1880 May 31: final issue. Incorporated into recently founded The Argus

Brighton Election Reporter
1864 February 10-25: Founded by Leslie Stephen. Six issues only—dated 10, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 25 February—price ½d, copies given to newsboys for nothing.16, 17
A set of all six editions of this newspaper was presented to the British Library by Millicent Garrett Fawcett, wife of the unsuccessful Liberal candidate, Henry Fawcett (see Elections), who wrote: 'When my husband was first a candidate for Brighton in 1864, none of the existing Brighton papers would put in anything in his support: and his friend Mr Leslie Stephen started and edited and in the main wrote, a little paper called the Brighton Election Reporter.'

Brighton Examiner
1853 January 18: launched as twice weekly, Tuesdays, Fridays. Liberal. Proprietor: John Frederick Eyles, 33 Western Road and 77 North Street. Price 5d. Circulation in 1853: 43,389 .
1858: price: 3d.
1864: ditto .
1891: published by Eyles & Son1.
1896 May 29: last edition.16

Brighton Fashionable Arrival List and Chronicle
1858 July 31: founded.16
1865 August 12: last edition.

Brighton Fashionable Visitors' List
1865 July 4: first edition.
1866: published at 5 Bartholomews, Tuesday and Saturday.
1878 May 7: renamed Brighton Standard & Fashionable Visitors' List [qv]

Brighton Free Press
1874 October-1875 November. Discontinued.16

Brighton Gazette
Brighton Gazette
1821 February 22: first edition of Brighton Gazette, Sussex and General Advertiser or Worthing, Eastbourne and Hastings Fashionable Chronicle. Weekly, Thursdays, price: 6d. Conservative. Published by E H Creasy. Based at Donaldson's Library (corner of Old Steine and St James's Street).
1832: publisher is John Baker, 152 North Street .
1835: printed in Church Street in premises adjoining Central National Schools.
1839: publisher is Creasy & Baker, 168 North Street .
1851: publisher is Charles Curtis, circulation 65,0002.
1852: published at Pavilion Dormitories (behind North Street—same as Prince's Place?). circulation 71,5002.
1853: circulation 72,0002.
1858: published at Prince's Place by Charles Curtis & Son, price: 5d.
1861 October 3: price is reduced to 3d, following the repeal of paper duty.
1864: office at 168 North Street (with Curtis & Son, printers), printing at Prince's Place.
1891: becomes Brighton Gazette and Sussex Telegraph, published by Towner & Curtis, 150 North Street, Thursday and Saturday1.
1905: renamed Brighton Gazette, Hove Post and Sussex Telegraph, published by W J Towner & Son Ltd at 10 Union Street. Date (post 1888?) acquired by Southern Publishing Company. at 130 North Street.
1938 April 2: becomes the Brighton and Hove Gazette.
1965 November 19: incorporates the Southern Weekly News.
1971: incorporates the Brighton Herald and becomes the Brighton and Hove Gazette and Herald.
1985 March 9: last edition; incorporated in the Brighton and Hove Leader.
British Newspaper Archive

Brighton Gleaner
1822 April 22: launched as a fortnightly 40pp literary journal with general and social news, edited and published by R Sickelmore jnr, 63 Cavendish Street, Brighton. Price 6d.
1823 closed.
Volume 1 available on Google Books

Brighton Graphic and South Coast Illustrated News

Brighton Guardian
Brighton Guardian
1827 January 31: launched as weekly by Levi Emmanuel Cohen at 34 North Street; liberal/radical. Wednesdays.
1851: circulation 55,0002, employed 14 printers and reporters, one clerk and one porter.
1852: circulation 55,0002.
1853: circulation 62,0002.
1858: price: 4d.
1891: published by Angus Fraser Walbrook, 34 North Street, Wednesdays1.
date? renamed Brighton & Hove Guardian.
date? incorporated in Brighton & Hove Society.
British Newspaper Archive

Brighton Herald
Brighton Herald
1806 September 6: first edition, published by H Robertson Attree and Matthew Philips; editor: Robert Sicklemore. Liberal.
1808 May: Philips out. Offices move to top of North Street5.
1810 January: manager William Fleet in partnership with Attree.
1810 April: Attree out.
1815: first newspaper to report Napoleon's escape from Elba.
date? moves to Prince's Place.
1830: first newspaper to report start of the French revolution.
1839: John Bishop (future local historian) working for the company.
1843: William Fleet's son Charles in partnership.
1848: first newspaper to report arrival of Louis Phillipe at Newhaven.
1851: circulation 60,0002.
1852: circulation 60,0002.
1853: circulation 61,0002.
1858: price: 4d.
1864: William Fleet retires. John George Bishop in partnership with Charles Fleet.
1880 June: Charles Fleet retires, leaving Bishop in sole charge.
1891: Saturdays1.
1902 July 19: renamed Brighton Herald and Hove Chronicle.
1905: published by William H Attwick, Prince's Place. Saturdays10.
Brighton Herald office 1934: new building opens on west side of Prince's Place (above, as seen in the 1965 film Be My Guest), bearing the Brighton coat of arms.
1938: at 2 Pavilion Buildings and 2 Regent Street7.
1971 September 30: final edition (no 8621). Incorporated into Brighton and Hove Gazette.
British Newspaper Archive

Brighton, Hove and Cliftonville Advertiser
1880 January 23-1881 August 1216
See Brighton Advertiser

Brighton Observer and Fashionable Arrival List
1856 November 28: launched as weekly.
1858: Published by Ebenezer Lewis, 54½ West Street. Fridays, price: 1d3.
1859: Title shortened to Brighton Observer. (Brighton Arrival List separated with different publisher?)
1864: 53a North Street4.
1874 January 30: renamed Brighton and Hove Daily Mail16
1874 October 1: renamed Brighton Observer and Mail16
1876 January 21: renamed Daily Mail and Observer16
1876 March 25: renamed Brighton Observer.

Brighton Patriot
Brighton Patriot
1835 February 24: Published Tuesdays by William Heaves Smithers, 143 North Street7.
1836 July 5: renamed Brighton Patriot and South of England Free Press.
1839 August 13: Final edition. Discontinued.
British Newspaper Archive

Brighton Pictorial Advertiser
1888 June 29-1890 June 1416
See Brighton Advertiser

Brighton Programme
1906: launched as weekly entertainment guide.
1936: closed.

Brighton Pulpit
1858: Published by Charles E Verrall (auctioneer and appraiser also at 16 Clifton Street) at 14 Prince Albert Street4.

The Brighton Season
Brighton Season1904: Published at 35 East Street by Brighton Standard and Fashionable Visitors List and subtitled 'A Record of the Season's Social Happenings'. Heavy advertising content and lavish photography (mainly portraits) in book format (40pp + cover). Price 6d.
1927-28 edition: subtitled 'The Magazine de Luxe for Brighton Boudoirs & Drawing Rooms'. Price: 1s.
Most editions can be downloaded from the Royal Pavilion & Museums collection.

Brighton Society
1887 January 8: launched as weekly. Published Friday, price 1d, by J Robertson, 34 North Street.
1927: closed.

Brighton Standard and Fashionable Visitors' List
1865 July 4: founded as Brighton Fashionable Visitors' List.
1878 May 7: renamed. Published Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, price 2d.
1891 (and earlier?): published by Edward Fox Patmer, 35 East Street, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
1904: began publishing The Brighton Season.
1905: ditto10.

Brighton Telegraph
1864 May 7-1865 March.16

Brighton Times
1860: launched as weekly.
1866: published at 205 Western Road. Saturdays.
1867: published by William Pearce .
1891: published by William Edward Nash, 205 Western Road, Fridays1.
date? Nash renames it Brighton & Hove Times10.
1915: closed.

Brighton Times, Review and Advertiser
1853 May 7-July.16

Brighton Walker
1874 October-December: three monthly issues only.16

Brightonian
1880 October 22: launched.
1884 May 17: discontinued.16

Cabmen's Weekly Messenger
1880 October 22-1884 May 17: 22 issues only. Discontinued.16

Cliftonville and Hove Mercury
1878 August 30-1880 January 16. Discontinued.16

County Intelligencer
1898 January-September. Discontinued. 4.

Daily Mail and Observer
1874 October 1-1886 January 1416
See Brighton Observer

Dolphin
1878 November 16-1882 April. Discontinued16

Evening Argus
See The Argus.

Free Christian
1890 October 1: founded at Cambridge.
1891: publication moved to Brighton.16
1895 October: ceased publication.

Honeymoon
1891 May-June: three issues only.16

Hove Courier and West Brighton Era
1880 June 5: founded as Passing Notes16.
1881 October 1: renamed.16
1882 September 23: final edition. Discontinued.16

Hove Echo
1897 April 24: founded.16
1902 ?: closed

Hove Gazette
1896 November 13: founded.16
1905: published by Emery & Sons, 70 Church Road, Hove, Saturdays10.

Lloyd's Weekly News
1905: branch office: 20 King's Road10.

London and Brighton
London and Brighton
'An unconventional bi-weekly journal of business and pleasure for men.'
1888 January: Published every Sunday and Wednesday, price 1d. Editor, 68 Fleet Street, EC; City Editor, 3 Copthamm Street, EC; sold at Smith's bookstalls at Victoria and London Bridge, Willing's bookstalls, in Brighton at 31 King's Road; W Halliwell, 19 North Road, Mr Tilney, Ship Street (opposite the Post Office), A Barnsley, 32 Trafalgar Street and at most newsagents.

Morning Argus
1897 September 2: launched by Southern Publishing Company, 130 North Street.
1926 May 3: last edition.

Pall Mall Gazette
1905: branch office at 20 King's Road10.

Passing Notes
1880 June 5-1881 September 24.16
See Hove Courier and West Brighton Era.

Protestant Echo
1880 January: founded. Also published in London.16

Southern Weekly News
1876 December 16: first edition, published by Southern Publishing Company, weekly, Saturdays.
1965 June 11: last edition.
1965 November 19: incorporated into the Brighton Gazette.

Sussex Advertiser Sussex Advertiser
See Sussex Weekly Advertiser.
1745: Founded 'on Whig principles'.
c1800: published by W & A Lee.
1845: published by G P Bacon (son of late editor of Norwich Mercury. Office at 64 JHigh Street, Lewes.
British Newspaper Archive

Sussex Agricultural Express Sussex Agricultural Express
1837: founded in Lewes as Sussex Agricultural Express, Surrey Standard, Weald of Kent Mail, and County Advertiser by John Baxter (1781-1858) and his youngest son William Edwin Baxter, who continued as publisher after his father's death. Published Tuesdays and Saturdays. Conservative. Brighton agent: Edmundus Burn (see Sussex Express).
1889: renamed Sussex Express.
1905: published by W E Baxter, 35 High Street, Lewes10.
1914: bought by F J Parsons of Hastings.
1938: mrged with Sussex County Herald.
1950: masthead now reads Sussex Express & County Herald, East Sussex News, South Eastern Advertiser, Surrey Standard, Kent Mail, Hastings & St Leonards Express, West Sussex Journal, Eastbourne Observer, Brighton Observer and Hove Mail and Hastings and Bexhill Independent
1975-1996: various owners.
1977: adopts a tabloid format.
1996: acquired by Sussex Newspapers subsidiary of Johnston Press. Four local editions published Fridays.
British Newspaper Archive

Sussex Daily News
1868 November: first UK daily halfpenny paper; small printing works in Lewes Road, published by Henry J Infield.
1871: Henry J Infield, age 24 (wife Frances, 28 + four children), proprietor, employing 12 men and seven boys.
1888: publisher incorporated as Southern Publishing Company.
1950s: only surviving daily morning paper in south of England outside London.
1956 March 3: last edition; incorporated into Evening Argus.

Sussex Evening Times
1880 July 6: launched as daily evening paper.
1891: published by William Edward Nash, 205 Western Road, four times daily.
1915: closed.

Sussex Express
1851: published by Edmundus Burn at 23 North Street, Brighton9.
1859: ditto2.

Sussex Express and County HErald
See Sussex Agricultural Express.

Sussex Mercury
1859 August 20: founded.
1860 September 8: last edition. Discontinued.16

Sussex Primrose
1888 February 11: first weekly edition.
1888 July 21: last of only 24 issues. Discontinued.16

Sussex Weekly Advertiser or Lewes Journal
Sussex Weekly Advertiser
1749: launched as first newspaper in Sussex.
1822 June 24: renamed Sussex Advertiser, or Lewes and Brighthelmstone Journal.
1842 April 12: name shortened to Sussex Advertiser.
1851-55: agent is Arthur Wallis at 5 Bartholomews14 15.
1859: agent is William Pearce at 5 Bartholomews2.
early 1900s: closes.
British Newspaper Archive

Treacher's Brighton Record [of Fashionable Arrivals]
1867 October 9: first edition. Published by Treacher, 1 North Street, Wednesday1, 16.
1905: Still in print.10.

West Sussex Gazette
1866: John Beal (agent), East Street. Thursdays5.
1891: ditto1.
1905: ditto10.

West Sussex Halfpenny Times
1869: founded, price ½d.
1871 September 6: last edition.16

Page updated 16 April 2017