Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: N

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
Search the site
N   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
NASH, John
Architect. Royal Pavilion, Old Steine
NASH, William Henry
(1840-1919)
Architect. Born in Uxbridge, in practice at 33 New Road (1882-85), 42 Ship Street (1889-1912), 17 North Street (1899-1903). Lived at 21 Chatham Place (1881-1891), 163 Ditchling Rise (1901), 14 Caburn Road (1911-12). Rutland Gospel Hall, Rutland Road (1900)
NEWMAN, George William
(1880-)
Assistant architect and surveyor (1901-1911). Born in Brighton, son of an undertaker and monumental mason at 105 Trafalgar Street (1891-1901). Lived and worked in Tottenham, London from early-mid 1900s. Missenden Lodge, Withdean Avenue (1908)
9 Eldred Avenue (1923)
NORTON, John
(1823-1904)
Architect, pupil of Benjamin Ferrey. The first half of his career was spent working mostly in the West Country before estabishing an office in London. St Matthew's Church, Sutherland Road (completion, 1883; demolished 1967)
NUNN, Bastick William
(1864-1936)
Brighton-born architect, grew up at 60 Western Road. Articled to Samuel Denman for three years from April 1881, became Denman's managing assistant. ARIBA 1890 (proposed by Thomas Lainson et al), resigned 1927. Left Brighton in the 1890s for Devonport to work for the Admiralty as an architectural draughtsman. Died in Winchester. No work identified so far
NUNN, Benjamin Hitchcock
(1819-1904)
Builder's clerk at 80 Upper North Street (1851-57). Architect and surveyor at 129 Queen's Road (1878-1890), living at 27 Chatham Place (1871-99). Born in Hackney, London into a baptist family. Left nearly £6,700. Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel, Gloucester Road (1868)
Nunn & Hunt
Architectural partnership of B H Nunn and Hunt. Parochial Offices of the Board of Guardians and Registrar, Prince's Street (1894)
NYE, Arthur W
1864-1953
Architect at 34 Duke Street (1912). Younger brother of Charles Nye and older brother of George Nye. He was one of the first councillors elected for the new St Leonard's ward when Aldrington was merged into Hove in 1893. PERSONAL
[Paragon House, 37 Western Street [childhood home 1863-]
• 8 St Leonard's Road [residence 1891-1898]
• 13 Sackville Gardens [residence 1901-after 1938]
• 22 Palmeira Avenue Mansions, Church Road [residence before 1947-1954]
WORK
49,51 and 2 more pairs semi-detached villas in Norton Road (1900)
and much more to follow
NYE, Charles [Jr]
1852-1923
Architect, surveyor and civil engineer. Born in Brighton, son of a lodging house keeper and later coal agent, also Charles Nye, in Western Street. Surveyor's assistant (1871). In practice at 1 Selbourne Road (1880), 34 Duke Street (1890-99). Prolific, working mainly in Hove. He successfully rpessed for the proposed name of West Brighton Road to be changed to Hove Park Villas. Emigrated to the USA around the turn of the century and died in Napa, California. PERSONAL
[Paragon House, 37 Western Street [childhood home 1852-1880]
Ash Lea/Fernside, [27] Goldstone Villas [residence 1880-1886]
4 Cavendish Place [residence 1890-1899?]

WORK
221, 223, 225 Preston Road (shops, 1876)
90,92,94,96 Preston Road (1876)
62,64,73,75 Beaconsfield Road (1876)
77 Beaconsfield Road (stables, 1876)
1 pair semi-detached villas in Eaton Road (1877)
laid out Newtown Road from Fonthill Road to Sackville Road (1890)
22 houses, 1 shop in Newtown Road (1889-1893)
21-37 Lorna Road (1890)
laid out Ranelagh Villas (1891)
17 pairs of semi-detached villas in Hartington Villas (1891, 1894)
22 houses in Fonthill Road (1892, 1896)
13 detached villas in Wilbury Avenue (1891, 1897)
1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 26, 30-38 (even), 55 plus 3 detached and 2 pairs semi-detached villas in Hove Park Villas (1890-1892)
79-80 Western Road, Hove (1892)
laid out Wilbury Crescent (1894)
1 pair semi-detached villas in Wilbury Crescent (1895)
5 pairs semi-detached villas in Ranelagh Villas (1895, 18977)
9 pairs semi-detached villas in Walsingham Road (1897)
10 semi-detached villas in Sackville Gardens (1898-1899)
12 villas in Wilbury Gardens (1896-1899)
6 detached villas in The Drive (1898-1899)
49,51 and 2 more pairs semi-detached villas in Norton Road (1900)
[21-35?] Walsingham Road (8 terraced houses, 1900)
NYE, George Manley
1864-1913
Architect and surveyor, born in Brighton, younger brother of Charles Nye. His career began as a draftsman for the Stanford Estate. At 93 Church Road and 1 Western Street (1890). He emigrated to Sydney, Australia in 1908 and died in Brisbane. PERSONAL
[Paragon House, 37 Western Street [childhood home 1864-]
• 15 Norton Road [lodgings 1891]
• 47 Hova Villas [residence 1901]

WORK
83 Montgomery Street (stables at rear and laundry, 1898)
Wilbury Avenue (detached house, 1898)
Wilbury Road (pair of semi-detached houses, 1898)
60 Conway Street (1900)
10 Ellen Place (1900)
Glebe Villas (2 houses with stabling, east side, 1900)
[1,3,5,7?] Worcester Villas (2 pairs of semi-detached villas, east side, 1901)
Clitonville Hotel, Goldstone Villas (alterations, 1901)
Richardson Road (3 houses with stabling by Lion Mews, 1901)
Cambridge Road (3 pairs of semi-detached villas, east side, 1901)
12-20 Shirley Street (warehouse extension (1901)
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 28 March 2021