People

 

Brighton and Hove people: B

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
Search the site
B   associated with [*plaque]
BADCOCK, John
1799-1889
Pharmacist and druggist, pioneer of vaccination. Born in Pyrton, Oxfordshire, son of a labourer, the third of 12 children. (Ironically, his mother's name was Maria Stopes.) He married Mary West in 1828, whose brother was a chemist and worked for Badcock. She had 11 children and died within a couple of years of the birth of the youngest. 128 St James's Street [shop and residence]
BALDWIN, Edmund Chaplin OBE
1860-1935
Chartered accountant and auditor. Inducted into the Royal Brunswick Masonic Lodge in Brighton in 1907. Awarded the OBE in 1918 as honorary secretary of the Sussex County Association of Voluntary Workers. A keen francophile, he was inaugural president of the Brighton French Circle 1915-1926. (He died at Vichy, France.) Honorary Secretary of the Telephones and Telegraph Advisory Committee. He left over £54,000. His family mausoleum, designed by J L Denman, is Grade II listed. 8 [later 9] North Street [offices]
31 St Nicholas Road [residence 1887-1891]
27 Temple Street [residence 1899-1907]
9 Windlesham Avenue [residence 1908-1935]
Brighton Extramural Cemetery, Lewes Road [mausoleum]
St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place [memorial window]
BALDWIN, Stanley, 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley KG
1867-1947
British Conservative prime minister (1923-1924, 1924-1929, 1935-1937). Attended Brighton College after leaving Harrow School. Brighton College, Eastern Road
Poynter Road
BARNETT, Dame Henrietta Octavia Weston
1851-1936
A founder of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Wife (née Rowland) of Samuel Barnett. 45 Wish Road [residence]
St Helen's CHurch, Hangleton Way [grave]
BARNETT, Samuel Augustus
1844-1913
Founder of Toynbee Hall. Husband of Dame Henrietta Barnett. St Helen's Church, Hangleton Way [grave]
BARRASFORD, Thomas
1859-1910
In the 1880s he was a member of the Moore & Burgess Minstrel Show before moving into hotel-keeping in the north-east. He went into entertainment in 1895 when he took over a wooden circus building on the site of a pit-heap in Jarrow and created the Jarrow Palace of Varieties music hall. His soubriquet was 'the born hustler'. He married Maud D'Almayne, a music hall singer and his second wife, in 1897. In March 1899 he bought the Tivoli music hall in Leeds and introduced twice nightly performances at low prices—a policy he repeated in his other halls. Films were included on the bill at his theatres from 1900, typically as the last item and with orchestral accompaniment.
      As part of his rapid expansion he acquired in 1902 the Brighton Hippodrome and the Empire Theatre in New Road, Brighton, which he renamed the Coliseum Theatre (later the Court Cinema). At this time he moved his base from Leeds to Brighton. In 1905 Barrasford opened the Alhambra music hall in Paris and arranged cross-channel tours of artistes in both directions. Local newsreels were made for the Leeds Tivoli by film cameraman Owen Brooks, who appears to have been mainly responsible for developing a version of the cinematograph for use in the Hippodromes with the name Barrascope. In 1908 Barrasford and William Faulkner, an engineer at the Brighton Hippodrome, patented 'a fire extinguishing contrivance for use with kinematographs'. He was also a noted race-horse owner and invented a starting gate that went into production and was adopted by the Jockey Club.
      He died at his home, Hippodrome House, next door to the theatre, leaving an estate of around £70,000. His funeral is said to have been one of the largest ever seen in Brighton.
Hippodrome, Middle Street
Empire Theatre (Court Cinema), New Road
BASHFORD, Celia
d.1831
Trunk murder victim. Cavendish Street
BATTERSBY, Martin
1914-1982
Artist and theatre set designer, expert on Art Nouveau. Trained as an actor at RADA but concentrated on stage sets after being commissioned to design Laurence Olivier's production of Hamlet at the Old Vic (1938).He specialised in trompe l'oeil paintings. Helped to establish Brighton Museum's collection of 20th-century art. 36 Sussex Square [residence 1964-1973]
20 Prince Albert Street [studio/shop c1968]
BAYLEY, Laura Eugenia
1862-1938
Laura BayleyWife of cinema pioneer George Albert Smith, whom she married in 1888. She had been on the stage in Hastings by c1880 (and gained a glowing review from The Era for her role as Aladdin at Morton’s Theatre, Greenwich in 1891/92) and was still appearing in panto in Brighton in 1895/96. As well as acting in many of Smith's films, she also played a role as producer and was probably also involved in writing, directing and possibly even camera work. Smith himself gave her credit for the ‘facials’—close-ups of comic faces—that were popular with early audiences. She was one of the most prolific film actresses at the time and may have a good claim to be the one of most prolific woman filmmaker ever. In his filmography of women silent filmmakers in Britain, Luke McKernan lists Laura Bayley as the possible director of 84 films in 1900-1901, some of them shot in Brighton and Hove but others in London, Scotland, Belgium, Italy and India. She is known to have used a 17.5mm Biokam camera, devised and made by Alfred Darling and Alfred Wrench.
      Her three sisters, Eva, Florence (b 1856) and Blanche (b 1866) were also actresses and appeared in Smith’s films.
St Ann's Well Gardens, Somerhill Road [workplace, residence 1894-1903]
Caburn House, 13 Caburn Road [residence 1911-1912]
7 Melville Road [residence 1915-1938]
BAYLY, Ada Ellen
1857-1903
Ada Ellen BaylyNovelist known as Edna Lyall. Born in Brighton, the youngest of four children of a barrister. He parents died when she was about seven and she was brought up by an uncle in Surrey but attended a orivate school in Brighton. Her first novel was published in 1879; her first success came five years later with a book based on the life of social reformer Charles Bradlaugh. One of her 18 novels was the last read to John Ruskin on his deathbed. 5 Montpelier Villas [birthplace, childhood home 1857-1864]
BEAL, Ernest Frederick VC
1883-1918
Ernest BealMember of the stationery and bookselling family. He attended Brighton Grammar School, then joined the family business in the East Street shop. In 1914 he enlisted in the Sussex Yeomanry, was promoted to sergeant. In 1916 he was transferred to the 1th Royal Sussex Regiment and served at Gallipoli and on the western front. In 1917 he was offered a commission and as a second lieutenant joined the 3rd Yorkshire Regiment. on 22 March 1918 he saved the life of one of his men under fire, for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously. He is listed on the Arras Memorial to the Missing, as well as on the Brighton War Memorial in Old Steine, where a commemorative stone to him was unveiled on 16 March 2018. Beal Crescent
148 Lewes Road* [birthplace]
BEAL, Frank George JP
1866-1951
Vere Fane Benett-StanfordWholesale stationer. Alderman. As mayor of Brighton 1932/1933 he opened the undercliff path to Saltdean and saw the inauguration of the electrified London-Brighton railway line. He was also involved in creating the Alliance Building Society by merging the Brighton and Bristol ventures.
Image: Frank Beal with Magnus Volk and wives at the 50th anniversary celebration of Volk's Railway (source: ESRO).
Beal Crescent
10 Semley Road [residence 1897-1928]
10 Vernon Terrace [residence 1929-1951]
BEARD family Extensive family of landowners in the east of Brighton and at Rottingdean/Ovingdean. There is a family vault in St Wulfran's churchyard. Beard's Lane
St Wulfran's churchyard, Greenways
BEARDSLEY, Aubrey
1872-1898
Illustrator, born in Buckingham Road. He stayed for much of his childhood with an aunt in Lower Rock Gardens. 31 Buckingham Road*
21 Lower Rock Gardens
BELLINGHAM family An old Sussex family: an Edward Bellingham of Erringham, Sussex was an uncle by marriage to Anthony Sherley of Preston.
      His son Sir Edward Bellingham (1506-1549) was a Lord Deputy of Ireland.
      Richard Bellingham (d 1553) was Sheriff of Sussex and Surrey in 1529, 1535 and 1543; he built Hangleton Manor in the 1540s.
      Edward Bellingham was High Sheriff of Sussex in 1566 and (presumably) another Edward was High Sheriff of Sussex and Surrey in 1611.
Bellingham Crescent
Hangleton Manor
BENETT, Vere Fane
1839-1894
Vere Fane Benett-StanfordMarried Ellen Stanford, the heiress of Preston Manor, and changed his name to BENETT-STANFORD and by the time of his death was styled Benet-Stanford. His family seat was at Pyt House, Tusbury Wilshire. He was MP for Salisbury in 1873-1880. He died at Funchal, Madeira. Benett Road
Preston Manor
Tisbury Road
BENETT-Stanford, John Maontagu
1870-1947
John Benett-StanfordSon of Vere Fane Benett (qv above) of Tisbury, Wiltshire and Ellen Stanford, who owned Preston Manor in Brighton, left Eton at the age of 16 for a two-year apprenticeship with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. He then took a commission in the 3rd Battalion the Wiltshire Regiment. It was through this connection that he became the first person ever to film actuality footage in war conditions. Known as ‘Mad Jack’ and ‘Roaring Jack’, he made two successful films before and after the battle of Omdurman (1 September 1898) in the Sudan campaign of 1898, followed by the return of Lord Kitchener (The Sirdar) to london, the latter produced by R W Paul’s Animatograph works. The next year he made (at least) two films at his family home in Madeira and then five more in England—all of which were distributed by the Warwick Trading Company, then headed by Charles Urban. Under an arrangement with Warwick, he set off to South Africa with a Bioscope film camera in October 1899 and sent back at least five films, including scenes of troops crossing the Modder River. His war films were enthusiastically received by British audiences. All his films were processed and printed by G A Smith in Hove, released in January 1900. His film activity seems to have ended in 1900. Although he did not even mention this work in an unpublished memoir, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography calls him ‘cinematographer and land owner’, so it is for his film work that he is mainly remembered.
BENNEY, (Ernest Alfred) Sallis ARCA
1894-1966
Artist (landscape paintings) and designer (commemorative plaques), born in Bradford. In 1934 he was appointed Director of Art Education for the Councty Borough of Brighton and Principal of Brighton School of Art. He introduced new departments for theatre and cinema design. The theatre at the school (now part of the University of Brighton) is named in his honour. Brighton Museum and Art Gallery has some of his work, as do the Towner Gallery at Eastbourne and Worthing Art Gallery.
BERESFORD, Gerald Waddington OBE, FRCS
1886-1979
General surgeon, trained at the London Hospital, where he later became surgical registrar. During World War One he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps in Egpt and France, being mentioned in dispatches, rising to the rank of major and being awarded the OBE. In Brighton he was a surgeon at the Red Cross Hospital for Officers. He was appointed assistant suregon at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in 1922 (full surgeon 1936), and was surgeon to the Sussex Maternity and Women's Hospital and the Victoria Hospital in Lewes. He retired from hospital service in 1951 but remained in private practice for a further 10 years. Beresford Road
11 Adelaide Crescent [residence 1932-1964]
BERESFORD, Lord Marcus Talbot de la Poer KCVO
1848-1922
Son of the 4th Marquess of Waterford, lived here at the time he ran the stables of the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, and then of George V from 1890 to 1922. 35 Adelaide Crescent
BEST, Edna Clara
1900-1974
Edna BestFilm star, who made her first screen appearance in the title role in Tilly of Bloomsbury, produced by G B Samuelson in 1921. She had the lead role in nearly all her subsequent films, including three in 1931-32 in which she played opposite Herbert Marshall, whom she had married in 1928 as the second of her three husbands. Her first American film was Michael Curtiz' The Key (1934), playing opposite William Powell but she returned to England and in the same year she was in Alfred Hitchcock's British (first) version of The Man Who Knew Too Much. In 1938 she was in a BBC Television version of Love from a Stranger. She returned to America around the outbreak of war in Europe and appeared in half a dozen more films. In the 1950s her work was confined to American television. Her father, Leonard Best, was a well-to-do stockbroker and in Edna's childhood the family lived in Pembroke Crescent. Her stage début was in September 1917. She played Peter Pan in the early 1920s and acted on stage throughout her career. She is commemorated on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Redcliff, Pembroke Crescent
BEVAN, Robert
1865-1925
Post-impressionist painter, was born at the home of his grandfather in Brunswick Square. 17 Brunswick Square*
BEVAN, Robert Cooper Lee
1809-1890
Robert Cooper Lee BevanEldest son of a partner in Barclay, Bevan & Co, the London bank founded by his grandfather. He himself became a senior partner in Barclays Bank as it was then called. During his time in Brighton his concern about the condition of the poor led to his involvement in 1849 in founding the Brighton Town Mission. He had seven children by his first wife, daughter of Vice-Admiral Sir Joseph Sidney Yorke and nine by his second, daughter of the Bishop of Chichester. His principal homes were at Fosbury in Hampshire and Trent Park, Middlesex. His second son became chairman of Barclays.
BILLINTON, Robert John
1844-1904
R J BillintonBorn in Waakefield, son of a railway contractor. In 1870 he was appointed assistant to William Stroudley at the Brighton Railway Works of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway but moved to the Midland Railway works in Derby between 1874 and 1890, when he was appointed LB&SCR's Locomotive, Carriage, Wagon and Marine Superintendent following the death of Stroudley. His son Lawson B Billinton (1882-1954) was LB&SCR Locomotive Engineer 1912-1922. Billinton Way
BINDER, Pearl (Polly), Lady Elwyn-Jones
1904-1989
Pearl BinderWriter and artist (lithography, sculpture, stained glass, illustration). Born in Salford, the daughter of a Jewish tailor Russian-Ukrainian immigrant, she studed at the Central School of Art and Design, then settled in the East End, which provided material for her drawings and her association with the pearly kings and queens. With James Laver, she co-presented a children's television series about the history of fashion in 1937, the year she married barrister Frederick Elwyn Jones. She died in Brighton, seven weeks after the death of her husband. 17 Lewes Crescent* [residence]
BIRCH, Lt-Gen Sir (James Frederick) Noel GBE KCB KCMG ADC
1865-1939
Sir Noel BirchCommissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1885 and served in Ashanti and the Second Boer War in South Africa. He commanded the Riding Establishment at Woolwich 1905-1907 and in 1912 became commander of the 7th brigade, Royal Horse Artillery, with which he went to France in August 1914. In 1916 Sir Douglas Haig, now commander-in-chief on the Western Front, made Birch his chief artillery adviser and he was promoted to lieutenant-general. ADC to George V 1915-171. In 1921 he was appointed diretor-general of the Territorial Army and was later master-general of the Ordnance 1923-1927. After etiring from the army he was director of Vickers-Armstrong. 17 Montpelier Crescent [residence c1917-1919]
1Walford (1919): 115
BLABER, William
1818-1903
Chairman and managing director of the Brighton Hove and Preston Waterworks Company.
BLACK, Arthur
1851-1893
Son of David Black and brother of Clementina Black, Constance Garnett and Ernest Black. He was a mathematician. In 1893 he killed his wife, his son and himself, leaving a daughter, who survived. 40 Buckingham Place
BLACK, Clementina
1853-1922
Clementina BlackDaughter of David Black and sister of Constance Garnett and Ernest Black. She was a writer and political activist, being involved in the Fabian Society, the women's suffrage campaign and in trades unionism, as an organiser of the Bryant and May 'match girl' strike of 1888. 40 Buckingham Place*
BLACK, David
1867-1893
Solicitor, who became town clerk and coroner of Brighton. Father of Constance Garnett and Ernest Black. He became paralysed in 1873 and was an invalid for the remainder of his life. Left £8,640 9s 9d. 40 Buckingham Place
BLACK, Alderman Hugh Milner
1864-1950
Pharmacist, optician and local councillor. Born in London, married in Australia in 1893, returned to England c1896 and settled in Brighton by 1900. In 1913 he was granted a US patent for an eye-testing device and another in 1915 for an advertising sign. Elected as a local councillor in 1902.Mayor of Brighton 1924, in which role he opened both Dyke Road Park and Saunders Park. Made a Freeman of the Borough of Brighton in 1948.There is a memorial plaque at Woodvale Cemetery and Crematorium. 81 St James's Street [shop]
16 New Steine [residence 1901-13]
'Panta Rei', 3 Windlesham Gardens [residence 1913-1950]
Milner Flats
BLACK, Tom Campbell
1899-1936
Tom Campbell BlackSon of Hugh Milner Black, educated at Brighton College and the Royal Naval College at Greenwich, from which he entered the Royal Naval Air Service in 1917, becoming a captain in the newly formed Royal Air Force. With his brother he managed a coffee plantation in Kenya until joining the newly formed Wilson Airways in Kenya in 1929. In 1934 he and C W A Scott won the London to Melbourne Air Race and a prize of £10,000. He married the actress Florence Desmond (1905-1993) a year before his death, which occurred in an accident at Speke Airport, Liverpool. There is a memorial plaque at Woodvale Cemetery and Crematorium. 81 St James's Street [residence 1911]
16 New Steine [residence 1901]
'Panta Rei', 3 Windlesham Gardens [residence]
BLACKETT, Admiral Henry
1867-1952
His wife was Hon Pamela Mary Fisher, daughter of Admiral of the Fleet Jackie Fisher, 1st Baron Fisher. 9 Palmeira Court
BLAKER, Alderman Frederick
1864-1910
Younger brother of Sir John Blaker, he was mayor of Brighton in 1904/05. Blaker Street
Blaker's Park
Quarry Bank Road
BLAKER, Sir John (George) bt
1854-1926
J G BlakerMayor of Brighton 1895-98 and was created a baronet in 1919. His son was Reginald Blaker. Blaker Street
Blaker's Park
BLAKER, Sir Reginald, 2nd bt
1900-1975
Son of Sir John Blaker, he was Conservative MP for Spelthorne 1931-1945. Blaker Street
Blaker's Park
Quarry Bank Road
BODLE, Richard
Member of an old Brighton family; High Constable of Brighton in 1818. Bodle's Court
BOND, Sir (Charles) Hubert KBE FRCP
1870-1945
Psychiatrist and mental health administrator. After appointments in mental hospitals, he was appointed a Commissioner in Lunacy in 1912 and a commissioner of the Board of Control for Lunacy and Mental Deficiiency when it was formed in 1914. He became one of the four senior commissioners in 1930 and remained there until shortly before his death. 10 Portland Place [residence 1925-1945]
BOOTH, Edward Thomas
1840-1890
Born in Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire and educated at a private school in Brighton, then Harrow and Cambridge, the son of a gentleman of independent means, Booth learned how to stuff birds from a barber near his father's house in St Leonards. He captired birds on the marshes near Rye, then travelling off to Norfolk and the Scottish highlands. He moved to Brighton around 1865 and acquired a large site on Dyke Road in 1874. The 'bird museum' he built was bequeathed to Brighton Corporation. • Booth Museum, Dyke Road
BOUCICAULT, Dion
1820-1890
Irish actor and dramatist. 6 Cavendish Place* [residence 1862-1872]
BOULTING, (Joseph Edward) John
1913-1985
BOULTING, Alfred Fitzroy Clarence (Roy)
1913-2001
John & Roy BoultingIdentical twins who spent much of their early lives in Hove, where they were educated at Monclare College, a prep school. Their love of the cinema, to which they contributed some of the most successful British films of the period after the Second World War, began in 1921 when their nanny took them to see Rudolf Valentino in The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse at the newly-opened Regent Cinema in Brighton five times in one week. In 1937 they formed Charter Films and throughout their careers alternated between directing and producing, depending on the type of project. John Boulting directed the official Festival of Britain film, The Magic Box, the biopic about William Friese Greene. They collaborated on Brighton Rock, John directing and Roy producing.  
BOURCHIER, Arthur
1863-1927
Arthur BourchierActor and theatre manager, educated at Eton and Oxford, where he founded the Oxford University Dramatic Society (OUDS). In 1894 he married Violet Vanbrugh, whom he met in a production the previous year and who became his regular leading lady. As a manager, he leased the Royalty THeatre in 1895 and after a tour of America took the Criterion with Charles Wyndham in 1900, before beginning a six-year stint at the Garrick later that year, to which he returned in 1912 for two years. He managed the Strand Theatre 1919-1923 and made a few film appearances. He became a member of the LAbour PArty and was due to stand for parliament at the time of his death, which occurred during a tour of South Africa. 10 Western Esplanade [residence 1910-1925]
BOWEN, Sir George Ferguson
1821-1899
Successively governor of Queensland, New Zealand, Victoria, Mauritius and Hong Kong, died at the Metropole Hotel. Metropole Hotel, King's Road
BOWRING, Edgar Alfred CB
1826-1911
He married Thomas Cubitt's fourth daughter, Sophia in 1853. As a civil servant he was librarian and registrar at the Board of Trade 1848-1863, during which time he was secretary to the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851. He was Liberal MP for Exeter 1868-1874. He was also a translator from the German, including the works of Goethe and Schiller. Bowring Way
5 Lewes Crescent [residence 1883-1911, deathplace]
BOWRING, Walter Andrew CBE
1862-1951
Son of a merchant, trained at St Thomas's Hospital, where he became senior obstetric house physician and senior resident medical officer at the Royal Free Hospital. He settled in Brighton, becoming consulting surgeon at the Royal Sussex County Hospital and the Sussex Maternity and Women's Hospital. He died in a Hove nursing home and is buried in Hove Cemetery, Bowring Way
38 Montpelier Crescent [residence 1899-1904]
The Pines, Furze Hill [residence 1905-1951]
BOXALL, William Percival JP
1814-1898
Bought land from Thomas Cubitt and was a landowner in the Kemp Town area who donated land on Sutherland Road for St Matthew's Church. Belle Vue Hall [residence]
Percival Terrace
Clarendon Terrace [developer]
BOYCE, Sarah
Member of a local family who owned land/property in the Old Town. Boyce's Lane
BRIDGE, Frank
1879-1941
Frank BridgeComposer and tutor of Benjamin Britten, born one of 12 children at 7 North Road. 7 North Road* [birthplace]
BRIGDEN, Alderman John Leonhardt
1814-1903
Four-time mayor of Brighton 1863-1865 and 1873-1875. A cup presented to him to mark his four terms was donated to the city by his family in 2004. Brigden Street
BRIGGS, Sir John Thomas
1781-1865
Joined the civil service at the Admiralty in 1796. Produced numerous reports on 'revising and digesting' the Royal Navy's civil affaits in 1806-1809, and was then appointed assistant-secretary to the Victualling Board until 1830, when he became private secretary to the First Lord of the Admiralty but soon was appointed commissioner and accountant-general of the Victualling Board. On the board's abolition in 1832 he was made accountant-general to the navy. In that post, which he held until 1854, he reformed much of the navy's accounting practice, including methods of paying seamen, who could then remit money to their families. He was knighted in 1851. 4 Royal Crescent [residence 1823-1865, deathplace]
BRILL, Charles
Opened the baths, built in 1869, that bore his name between East Street and Pool Valley, demolished in 1929. He also built Clarendon Mansions in 1870 on the south-east corner of East Street. East Street
Brill's Lane
BRISTOL, 1st Marquess/5th Earl of See Hervey, Frederick William. • Bristol Estate: Bristol Gardens; Bristol Gate; Bristol Mews; Bristol Road; Bristol Road East; Bristol Street; Bristol Terrace
BROOKE, Valentine E
1912-2001
Actor under the name Valentine Rooke. In 1939, when he gave his occupation as radio announcer, he married the actress Patricia Hayes. Their son, Richard is an actor (stage name Richard O'Callaghan). He died in Miami, Florida. 138b Marine Parade [residence 1939]
BROOKE-PECHELL, Vice-Admiral Sir George Richard 4th bt
1789-1860
Sir George Brooke-PechellSecond son of Major-General Sir Thomas Brooke-Pechell (1753-1826). Joined the Royal Navy aged 14 in 1803, rose to the rank of captain in 1826 and was appointed rear-admiral on the retired list in 1852 and vice-admiral in 1856. He lost as Whig candidate for Brighton at the 1832 election, the first under the Reform Act, but won the seat in 1835 and held it until his death. He supported universal non-denominational education and the secret ballot and was opposed to church rates. From 1825 he lived at Castle Goring, Worthing, which he rented from Sir Timothy Shelley, MP for New Shoreham and father of the poet, from whose widow he bought the property in 1845. A mutilated statue of his son that once stood in the Royal Pavilion is in the grounds at Stanmer Park. He inherited the baronetcy from his elder brother, Rear-Admiral Sir Samuel Brooke Pechell 3rd Bt (1785-1849), who was also an MP.
Image: Portrait c1860 by Thomas Charles Wageman (National Maritime Museum)
BROOKER, Henry
Attoney and notary. His will is in the National Archives1. Hanover Crescent
97 North Street [office 1800]

1PROB 11/2081/337
BROWN, Captain Samuel
1774-1852
Built the Chain Pier. Royal Suspension Chain Pier, Madeira Drive
48 Marine Parade
BROWNE, Hablot Knight
1815-1882
Artist and illustrator, known as Phiz, most famous for illustrating the works of Charles Dickens. 8 Clarendon Villas [residence]
BRUNEL, Adrian (Hope)
1892-1958
Adrian BrunelA leading film director of the 1920s, noted for humour and parody. Educated at Harrow, in 1909 he founded the Sussex Men's League for Women's Suffrage in Portslade. After making his first film in 1917 he founded Minerva Films with the actor Leslie Howard and writer A A Milne, which made six films in 1920-21, all directed by Brunel and written by either him or Milne, two of them starring Howard and one C Aubrey Smith. In 1939 he was one of the writer/directors called on by Alexander Korda to make the first film of the war effort, The Lion Has Wings. Altogether he directed over 40 films, the last being The Girl who Forgot (1940), starring Eizabeth Allan, although he worked as production consultant with Howard on the latter's The First of the Few (1942) and The Gentle Sex (1943). He was a founder of the (London) Film Society and wrote several books about film production and screenwriting. He lived with his divorced mother in Portslade. 61 Norway Street
21 Franklin Road [family home 1911]
BUCHANAN, Jack [Walter John]
1891-1957
Actor who started his career as a music hall comedian called Chump Buchanan, first appearing in a West End music in 1912. By the early 1920s he was a major stage star. With partners he built and operated the Leicester Square Theatre in London and the Imperial Theatre in Brighton. 19 Lewes Crescent
Imperial Theatre, 134 North Street [later Essoldo Cinema]
BURLEIGH, Charles H H
1869-1956
BURLEIGH, Averil
1883-1949
BURLEIGH, Veronica
1909-1999
Averil Veronica and Charles BurleighCharles Burleigh was born in Brighton, the son of a mathematician. He trained at Brighton School of Art and in Paris. He was part-time art master at St Aubyns School, Rottingdean for 57 years. In 1903 he commissioned a house and studio in Wilbury Crescent.
      Averil trained at Brighton School of Art. She married Charles in 1903 and used their studio in Wilbury Crescent. Her paintings were included in the Royal Academy exhibitions for 20 consecutive years. She also worked as a book illustator and was a founder member of Sussex Women's Art Club.
      Their daughter Veronica was also a painter, trained at the Slade School of Fine Art between 1927—the year she first had a painting exhibited at the Royal Academy—and 1930.
Image: 'Self-portrait with the Artist's Parents' by Veronica Burleigh, c1937 [Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove]. Click to enlarge (opens in new window)
• 7 Wilbury Crescent [home and studio 1903-]

ArtUK
BURNE-JONES, Sir Edward
1833-1898
Edward Burne-JonesPre-Raphaelite artist and designer. Buried in the nave at St Margaret's, Rottingdean. For his local design work, see Sir Edward Burne-Jones. High Street, Rottingdean
Victoria Road
Washington Street
Poynter Road
BURROWS, Sir John Cordy
1813-1876
Sir John Cordy BurrowsThree-term mayor of Brighton (1857-59 and 1871-72). Born in Ipswich, he trained as a surgeon in London before coming to Brighton in 1837, setting up his own practice in 1839 in Old Steine. With Rev J N Goulty, his architect son H N Goulty and Amon Henry Wilds, he founded the Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery in 1850.In recognition of his good works, the inhabitants of Brighton presented his with a carriage and pair of horses in 1871. He was knighted in 1873. His Grade II listed statue was unveiled in 1878 in the grounds of the Royal Pavilion but moved to Old Steine in 1984. 46 and 62 Old Steine
BUTT, Clara Ellen DBE
1872-1936
Daughter of an oyster trawlerman, was born just outside the city in Adur Terrace, Southwick, became one of the world's most famous singers of the era and was created a Dame of the British Empire in 1920. 33 New Church Road
St Aubyn's Mansions, King's Esplanade
BYAM, Lt-General Edward
1794-1878
Soldier, born in Antigua, son of a slave-owner. He fought in the Peninsula War; he and his elder brother were wounded at the Battle of Waterloo. Promoted in 1858 to Lt-General and Colonel of the 18th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (18th Hussars from 1861) until 1864. He was a second cousin once removed of Mary Elizabeth Mathew, wife of William Thomas Roe, owner of the Withdean estate. 138 King's Road (Byam House) [residence 1858-1864]
BYNG, Douglas
1893-1987
(‘Bawdy—but British’) was a leading character actor, comic songwriter, drag artiste and notable pantomime dame. He is known to have made only three films, however: a short in 1930, a feature-length musical called Opening Night in 1935 and the film version of Hotel Paradiso (1966), committing to celluloid the role he played on stage nine years earlier. He continued to appear on stage until 1986 and was a regular at local theatres, including the Hippodrome from 1923 until its last summer in 1964. He died at the age of 94; his ashes were scattered outside the house in Arundel Terrace. 6 Arundel Terrace [residence 1960s-1980s]
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 3 July 2021